Sunday, May 23, 2010

Science Sunday: Nature Walk


Our weather has been unseasonably cool lately and I am still using the heater in the mornings.  Although I am not looking forward to the heat that will be here before I know it.  Today we decided to take advantage of the sun and go for a nature walk.    

We started off the nature walk by doing a "sink or float" experiment. 

 Bob started throwing rocks into the water.  


Then we switched to leafs and other items.  Verdict:  rocks and shells sink while leaves and sticks float.


Bam thought this place was the best for a quick rest plus there were a lot of rocks to throw into the lake.  

Here Bob is trying to use the kid binoculars.  Next time we need to bring the real binoculars.  There was an island with lot of birds on it, but I couldn't tell what they were.  



4 comments:

  1. A very nice way to do sink or float. Outdoor activities are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! It would totally throw him if you gave him a lava rock that would float.
    I love nature walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hands on for float or sink, not only that but a great family outing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we live close by, and I agree - it's been unreasonable cold this year. It's great that you found time to catch some sun this weekend.

    ReplyDelete