Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ooey gooey--Science Sunday


The 1st ooey gooey science experiment was oobleck which has unusual physical characteristics. It is equal parts cornstach and water with food coloring.  


Although it looks like a liquid, it feels like a solid.  


Bam is rolling and squeeze it to make a ball or snake, but ....


as soon as he opens his hand it turns back into liquid.  Bob would not touch the stuff.  He was interested in watching and saying "yuck" and "icky." 


The 2nd ooey gooey science experiment was gluep.  I have seen so many different recipes, two of which I have tried.  For some reason I can not get this to work.  Today recipe is as follows:
  1. dissolve 1 teaspoon of laundry borax in 6 tablespoons of water. You will need to stir this for a while to get it to dissolve. (If a tiny bit does not dissolve, that is OK.)
     
  2. combine 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of white glue. If you wish, you may color the mixture with a couple drops of food coloring. With a clean spoon, stir the mixture thoroughly until it is uniform.
     
  3. Put 2 teaspoons of the borax solution into the glue mixture. Stir the mixture.
     
  4. As you stir the mixture, it will stiffen into a soft lump. Then knead it in your hand for a couple minutes.

I followed the 4 easy steps, but the gluep was not elastic--it would break apart if stretched.   I even tried this recipe 3 times.  



3 comments:

  1. It's frustrating when you follow the steps exactly and it doesn't turn out right. I've had a couple of things like that we tried several times and were never really successful with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I haven't tried gooey experiments here, because daughter is not a big fan of getting really messy. She wouldn't even play with a shaving cream. Maybe when she is older :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE oobleck! I have made it for my class as well as my boys! Great sensory stuff, especially for Tanner! I think we might make some butter this summer (inspired by you)! Check out my page for directions on how to make maracas!

    ReplyDelete