Monday, May 31, 2010

Phase Change Experiment--Making Butter

I saw this idea somewhere a long time ago and today I had cream that needed to be used so we made butter (otherwise known as a phase change experiment)


I filled a jar about 3/4 of the way full with heavy cream---any container would work.  To make butter just shake the container.


As you can see Bam was not really into this experiment--Mom, do I really have to shake this--I want to play with my new toy!  Bob was too preoccupied playing in the sand box to even notice us.


After 15 minutes of shaking, mainly by me and grandma, butter was made.  This butter is really good, we have been eating a lot bread with fresh butter.

Bam and I also talked about other things that go through phase changes such as ice.



So we watched the ice melt.  Then Bam came up with his own experiment, re-freezing the water.  He was pretty excited about it.




4 comments:

  1. Huh, I never even thought about using that as a science experiment, but that makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids didn't even want to shake the jar/can, when we were making ice cream. But, they were more than happy to come back to help eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you can have fun and work at same time. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete