Sunday, June 27, 2010

Soda Geyser

I had heard of this experiment before but I didn't realize it was so easy to do.  Over at Steve Spangler's website he sells a tube for dropping the mentos into the 2-L bottle, but it isn't necessary.  We were able  to create a small geyser that entertained both children and daddy with out it.


Any soda will work--I choose Coca Cola (recently in science camp we observed that dark soda produced a higher geyser) and orange soda (Bam's favorite color).  I was told by the teacher that only mint mentos work.   We didn't use a whole package of mentos per bottle.  I used about 8 for the Coca Cola experiment and Bam used 3 mentos.  You really have to drop the candy in quickly otherwise you get covered in sticky soda.


My husband was so impressed and surprised by the Coca Cola experiment that he forgot to take pictures.  We didn't tell him what was going to happen.  Here is the start of the orange soda geyser.  


Bam and Bob running through the sprinklers afterwards.  More fun than tanking a bath after this sticky experiment.







3 comments:

  1. I've heard of that, but hadn't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have done this before, too! It is so much fun, isn't it? Wonderful post -great job!
    Here is ours, if you would like to see it:
    http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/which-reacts-more-with-mentosdiet-coke.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!! We are definitely going to do this some day!! My son would LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete