Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tie-dyed milk




Supplies:
  1. Pie pan or other shallow dish
  2. Milk (2% or whole)
  3. Food Coloring-several colors
  4. Dish soap
  5. Toothpicks

Experiment:
  1. Fill pie pan with approximately 0.5 inches of milk
  2. Add several drops of each color around the edge--
  3. Dip toothpick into dish soap
  4. Touch soapy end of toothpick to milk
  5. Observe what happens
  6. Repeat steps 3-5

Explanation
            When the soap tipped toothpick touches the surface of the milk the colors create beautiful patterns.   The scientific explanation is too complex for young children, but this doesn’t stop them for watching and enjoying the chemical reaction. 


Both of my children enjoyed this experiment.  My two year old was totally mesmerized by it.  I have repeated this experiment several different times now because it keeps my children occupied so I can get sometime done!  

1 comment:

  1. Those always look so pretty! Someday I will actually do this.

    ReplyDelete